Project: Support to Implementation of Forest Policy and Strategy in Kosovo GCP/KOS/005/FIN
The International Conference on Application of Information and Communication Technology in Forestry
The initiative to organise the International Conference on Application of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in Forestry emerged from the ICTs substantial role in delivering good governance in the forestry sector. Benefits of ICT in forestry are wide ranging from the operational level, decision making, efficiency and effectiveness of forest management, supporting public participation, managing sustainability, knowledge management and alignment of forestry sector with international initiatives.
The Conference will cover the challenges that arise from use of ICT in Forestry and in the case of development and implementation of Forest Information Systems.
The Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) is currently implementing the project ‘Support to Implementation of Forest Policy and Strategy in Kosovo’ funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. One of the project’s main components supports the development and deployment of Kosovo Forest Information System (KFIS). Kosovo Forest Agency (KFA) has a mandate to manage the Kosovo forest resources. In this context, FAO supports KFA to build up an information system that will serve as an ICT tool to cover the KFA needs in carrying out its forest management mandate. Development of KFIS aims at providing assistance to implement Kosovo forestry policy and strategy, through enabling and/or facilitating the production, storing, processing and exchange of forestry information data. Through more accurate, comprehensive, updated and converted information into statistics, the forest management will improve at all administrative levels as well technical level.
Objectives of the Conference
- To share experiences with the use of ICT in the forestry and the current state of affairs in the region and beyond
- To foster the dialogue about the use of ICT in forestry among key players and others involved in the forestry sector
- To explore and learn from the best practices on the use of ICT with regard to forest information systems
- Present the current and future work of FAO in developing KFIS
- Establish a network of ICT practitioners in forestry.
Expected results of the Conference
- Foresters and ICT experts share experiences, challenges, issues and solutions in use of ICT in forestry
- Key lessons and opportunities relevant to their forestry management identified
- The awareness of ICT relevance in forestry among decision maker is increased
- ICT in forestry and KFIS is widely promoted as a model
- The Conference will represent only the first step towards dialogue and sharing experience, which will continue in the future
- A joint statement on future work in creation of a regional network of ICT practitioners in forestry.
Organisation of the Conference
The organiser of the event will be the FAO Project Office in Kosovo. Working language of the seminar will be English. Simultaneous translation will be provided on Albanian and Serbian languages.
It is expected that the Conference on Information and Communication Technology in Forestry will be attended by the representatives of key forestry institutions in the region of Western Balkans and beyond, including representatives from the line ministries, international organisations, public enterprises, research institutions, NGO’s, forestry related associations, private sector and experts, who will express their interest for participation in this Conference by applying online at: http://kosovoforests.org/registration-form/.
25 October 2017
Venue: Hotel Emerald
|Opening and Introduction|
|10:00-10:30||Opening speeches, Welcome Addresses and Introduction|
|10:30-10:45||Forest Sector and ICT|
|10:45-11:00||Improved forest management efficiency based on ICT tools and Design and Development of Kosovo Forest Information System|
|11:15-12:30||ICTs role in delivering good governance in the forestry sector, experiences in different countries|
|13:30-15:15||ICTs role in delivering good governance in the forestry sector, experiences in different countries|
|15:15-16:00||ICT companies involved in Forest Information Systems|
|16:20-16:45||Final discussions and remarks|
|16:45-17:00||Wrap – up and general conclusions|
|17:30-17:30||Compiling a joint statement on future work in creation of a regional network of ICT practitioners in forestry|